Sunday, February 27, 2005

A Night of Stoicism

The ashes from my vice fall to the ground, twirling a very loose dance as they make their way toward my bare feet. I can hear the neighbor's television broadcasting drivel and mediocraty to whomever would listen. I am standing outside, what little wind whips through the air,

Would the call come? Would I be waiting in vain?

I had called earlier, wanting to talk to him. To see if everything was ok. Everything as it turns out, was not ok. Nothing major, mind you. Just a tired man on the end of the line. Didn't want to talk at the moment, said he would call me back.

Would the call come? Would I be waiting in vain?

I send out the hand-written letters, I send out the emails, I make the phone calls, but does it do any good I wonder? Would he remember? I open the door to the sound of my television. My own box booming it's own silent noise. Not quiet, in the sense that I can't hear it. But quiet in the sense that I don't pay attention to it, as my mind is somewhere else, on somebody else, at someother time.

Would the call come? Would I be waiting in vain?

The phone rings, it's a friend. Not the person I was wanting to talk to, but a welcome diversion nonetheless. We make small talk, the usual chit-chat. I hang up. I wait. And I wonder. And I think about my childhood how I had it all planned out. I was more naive than I am now. I still make mistakes, but not the same ones I've made in the past. I had it all planned out, I was thinking. I had it planned to the 'T'.

The call didn't come. I had been waiting in vain.

I make my way to bed, not turning off the television. I don't dare cry, but I can't help when I stay awake for the following two hours, mind racing with thoughts. "Why?" I wonder to myself, "Why can't I just be normal?"

But then a single spot of clarity hits me, of who amoung us freaks is normal? We've all got our secrets. We've all got our demons. And we've all got our vices. I guess I am just like everybody else after all.

*****************

Junk Prose I
-By-
J

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This is really nice, J! The last part about us all having our demons... that's good to remember. It's just as much the ick of life that bind us all together as it is the good stuff. The human condition they call it. I haven't quite figured out what I should call it yet. But I'm gonna call it something - maybe Alfred.

27/2/05 10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home