Thursday, November 18, 2004

Sick as a dog, sawing up logs

Ok dear readers, I've been sick now going on a full week. Between a low-grade fever, chest congestion, sore throat, dizziness, and the ever-loving constant cough I've had now for two months, I'm just peachy keen. I hope one day to feel better, I'm just afraid that that day is not today. Tomorrow is not looking good either.

Monday I had dinner with some wonderful friends. Smitty and his wife Reneay couldn't make it. Smitty was in Norman and Reneay wouldn't answer the phone (for shame!), so they missed out, but Michael West, Jeremey Russell, Rusty "Man-Arms" Pickens, Aaron Aday, David, Erin and Sid Rutledge and then my dear Bib to round it off. We had dinner at Doc's there in Ada and true to form I dribbled steak juice on one of my favorite shirts. I washed it last night and it is still stained so I'm guessing the shirt is ruined. That stinks too, because I really like my Cubavera shirts. Luckily I have one exactly like it hanging up in the closet, so I have a backup at least.

Went to the doctor today for my throat/coughing/blood pressure situation. The doc wanted to draw blood to check my white blood cell count, so the last thing I had to do before leaving was get some blood drawn. Now, I'm no stranger to the phlebotomy proceedure. As having a mother being a 'lab vampire' not to mention the numorous times I've donated blood at the OBI, I am pretty up on the hygenic way that needs to be followed in order to draw properly.

First off, "Maud" just swabs my arm with a single alcohol wipe and then rubs it with a non-sterile cotton ball. After that, a poke with a neddle prove fruitless (or is it bloodless in this case?) she switches arms. Again, single alcohol wipe, rub with cotton ball, then she takes off her latex glove and touches my arm with her potentially nasty finger to find a vein. Then in a effort to clean it, she just rubs it with that cotton ball again. I asked her if that was standard procedure, she just said it would be alright and went ahead and drew my blood. Afterwards I was a little angry at this. I'm thinking about calling up there and reporting her behavoir. That is certainly not a healthy thing to be doing to patients, and especially at this time of year when germs are running rampent. I don't want Maud to be touching my clean arm with her skanky finger. If I get MRSA, I know exactly who I'll be pointing my finger at.

Other than that, I'm just wanting to lie down and try and sleep longer than an hour without coughing. The doctor gave me a presrcription for some steriods today, it's only 5 pills and it's not the muscle building kind. This stuff targets the resperatory system and hopefully will help me get over this cough. I'm sick of it and by golly I'm more than ready to be rid of it.

Everybody looking forward to Thanksgiving? I hope to spend it with the people that love me and that I love back. And then I'll go to work and be miserable again. Ah! What a quaint little cycle I have going for me.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

18/11/04 11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

not making excuses but with Smitty out of town I have to sepnd some time at work and try and balance time with my son as well as pack his bags to stay 3 nights away from his momma. I guess Ill try better next time, hey bib sorry didnt get to meet you.

18/11/04 8:39 PM  
Blogger bib said...

Just be careful when taking those antibiotics. I can't wait to see your great Lorraine dancing class this weekend. Maybe we can go to Toy's R Us for a little christmas shopping. Of course I am looking foward to Turkey Day! I too plan to spend it with people I love and who love me. Hmm, wonder if we will see each other? :)

18/11/04 10:48 PM  
Blogger Pastoral Urbanite said...

I for one had a great time on Monday. I'm for that becoming the rule instead of the exception on the weekends you come to Ada.

19/11/04 8:56 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Duely notied my friend. I too enjoyed Monday night, must like last nights, although this post will probably never get read again. I enjoyed the calamari and the bread, although my water never seemed to be refilled as often as I like to be. But heck, that's anywhere. I'm a thirsty guy sometimes.

23/11/04 3:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home