Sunday, October 31, 2004

Gays and Monkeys

First off, let me begin by saying I was NOT raised in a home that harbored hatred for homosexuals. I don't want people thinking my family is a bunch of redneck hillbillies, shunning education and dental hygene. They're not all like me. Sure, my dad may not covort with the boys at the All-Male Review, but both of my folks are good Christian people and never raised me, or my sisters to be mean or look down on those different than us. We were brought up to love and respect those people unlike us, even if we didn't always see eye to eye on life style choices.
I had meant rather to say that there are people I know of, names omitted, that are really intolorant of homosexuals, especially men. I made a passing gay joke to one of these people the other day, the person didn't hear it, but I was told by another person that caught it not to repeat it, lest I be looked upon unfavorably. I don't censor myself too often, as I like to say what's on my mind, but this time I held my tongue. I don't need a another person hating me, I've already have my share of them.

Enough of that, moving on to monkeys...

Anybody that knows me really well, and Jennifer and the Smokesignals Crew can attest to this, is that I have a huge love of monkeys. In fact, I'm a little disappointed at myself that I don't have a monkey tattoo of some sort on my person. You show me a monkey in a fez, and I'll show you a happy monkey lover (not in that way, sickos!). Well, I have a fondess, besides the aformentioned monkey love, for weird websites. David Rutledge and Michael West are sadly the brunt of this oddity, although I haven't sent either or them anything strange in a while. But I would like to point out a site called Disturbing Auctions that I just think is the bee's knees. It has people listing different kinds of crazy objects that people try and sell on eBay. Sadly, it hasn't been updated in some time, and the last update was in May of this year, which before that was July of 2003. As you can see, not a lot of love on this site. I wish they would keep up with this. One of my favorite things on this site is the Drunken Monkey. I'm almost 100% positive I had this picture as my background while Smokesignals was in it's last days, when Smitty and I were more like union workers, moving desks and computers around, rather than a graphic designer and network flunky.

To sum up: Gays are people too. You don't have to love what they do, but I choose to love them regardless, especially friends I've had since 6th grade. Always have, and I suspect I always will. Monkeys are good too, and I plan to put that theory to the test when I go to Africa and eat one. That's it kids. Remember to vote Tuesday.

And somebody remind me to wish Smitty a Happy Birthday on Thursday. I need to get him a gift!! But where does one find a gift for such a man? I hear Spencers has some fake dog poo on sale... ;-)

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

31/10/04 5:29 PM  
Blogger Adam said...

Jay, have you been watching "Super Robot Monkey Team Hyper Force Go!"? If not, you should. It's got 5 adorable robot monkeys that have battle cries like "Boom Boom Wake Up!" and "Scritch Scratch Saw Blade!" Corey Feldman and Mark Hamill are some of the voices. It's amazing. Here's the TV Tome link: http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/ShowMainServlet/showid-28765

I bet you'll love it as much as I do. Because, yes, monkeys are cute. Although, I now like Robot Monkeys even better than Monkeys In Fezes. You'll see. They're awesome.

As for the gay joke, I'll say what I tell others who say them. As long as the people within hearing range understand that you're telling the joke because it's funny, and not because you like to be demeaning to gay people (or any minority in a joke), then why not? Some gay jokes are FUNNY! I love to hear a good gay joke, even if it's from straight friends. I also love good jokes about anyone. As long as they're actually funny. I'd share some of my favorite gay jokes here, but most of them are visual and none of them are really clean. --Adam

1/11/04 8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home