Tuesday, September 14, 2004

The gift, the dog and the grandfather

Three-parter here folks...

I go to Ada this past weekend to take a birthday present to my friend David's son Sidney. His birthday party is this up-coming Saturday and I won't be able to be there, so I thought it would be nice to come down the weekend before and bring him his gift. Well, as it turns out David and his wife Erin along with the kid had gone on vacation this weekend, and as it was a little spur of the moment, I didn't know about it. So I thought I have to get this gift to them somehow. I thought about giving it to Smitty, but I had forgotten it when I was his house. Then I thought I would give it to Michael West, but I had forgotten it then too. So now I have this gift for Sidney that I'm going to have wind up mailing him because I couldn't remember to give it to an appropriate person. I suck at doing things right apparently.

As I'm sitting here typing the above, the dog starts wigging out, rolling around on the sleeping bag that is her haven here in the computer room. I smell some cologne or purfume, wondering where that odor is coming from. Turns out she had dug into my overnight bag and found a sample bottle of cologne that Jen's mom had put in my stocking some Christmas ago, and had tried to chew on it. When she did this the cap came off, spilling smelly liquid into her mouth and onto the carpet. So not only does her tastebuds get a fine how-do-you-do, but now the computer room smells like a country club bathroom now. Weird dog, not maybe she'll learn not to do that anymore.

Lastly but not least, Nancy's father isn't doing too well. I talked to dad a bit about it this weekend and he told me that he's looking like my grandmother was right before she passed away. I won't go into details, but so far it's not looking good. This tears me up inside, knowing that somebody is in pain and in constant decline of health and I can't do anything about it. And I really can't do much for mom either. I can lend a sympathetic ear, but other than that, what else can I do? I feel bad for her, as I do the whole family. He's a good guy and I just hope he doesn't suffer for too long, as he's in constant pain. Mom, if you read this, I love you, and I'm praying for you and Grandpa. I would ask that if my readers are into prayer at all, to please keep them in them as well. Thanks.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pastoral Urbanite said...

I remember the first time I had to visit the house of someone who had passed away. I had no idea what I was doing. I was scared and it was obvious to everyone around me. Fortunately a retired pastor friend went with me. It was an amazing thing to watch. In 10 minutes a room full of mourners went form tears of pain to tears of joy; from thinking about what they had lost, to what their lost loved one had given them. You can't change what you don't have control over. You can't stop pain that has to take place. You can direct people's attention to the things that matter.

15/9/04 8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Jay. This means so much to me. I love you!

Mom

18/9/04 8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home