Tuesday, September 07, 2004

A Customer's Service

It seems to me that customer service is getting worse and worse. Or maybe it's just the fact that I'm getting more and more like Archie Bunker everyday. Tonight I was going through drive-thru, and the voice asked me what I would like, told them "I'll have a number 5 and a coke." The voice came back with "and what would you like to drink?" Normally I would let this slide, but they do it every single time.
Also, whenever I call Mazzio's up to order a pizza, they will say hello, and I'll respond "Hi, I would like to place a delivery order please." And they ask for my name and number, then asks me "And would this be dine-in, carry out or delivery?" Now, understand dear reader that I can forgive this once or twice, but every stinking time since I've been here in the Tulsa area? Every stinkin' time! I say ney ney!

Now I'll be the first person to admit that I'm not good with the public. I've had my share of jobs that related to the masses and I might not have always been the perfect angel with them. But I am proud to say that I've done a better job than this in the past. Normally I would chalk this up to 'them darn kids' but in these two cases I cannont. Both were adults, about the same age as me, or older, and should possess the basics skills of how to deal with people.

I understand that this makes me sound petty for getting worked up over such a little thing. "Oh Jay! You insensitive jerk! They get hundreds of customers a day, how can they remember such a tiny detail that you gave them at the beginning of the order?" I get angry because it's an important detail and when speaking to order-takers, I take my time and enunciate, to make sure that there are zero mishaps. I know that normally I talk like a hair-lipped mongoloid, but in these cases, I do take my time and be carefull of how and what I saw. (so why don't I do this all the time, you make ask?). Anyway, just a thought I had. It's something that gets under my skin. I feel that if I take that effort to be understood, I feel I should be listened to. Not a concept that I'm sure my friends and family are not unfamilier with. I know that when growing up if my dad told me something, it would have benifited me to listen then and burn it to memory. I didn't always do it, and I payed for it later. At least, that's how I remember it. :-)

Now if you'll be needin' me, I'll be on my front porch, sitting in my rocker, wondering why those damn kids won't keep off my lawn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home