Tuesday, August 24, 2004

I have a problem with science

Ok, food technology has surely come a long way in the past few decades, and I have a small bone to pick with the scientists of food stuff. When mixing up a delicious glass of Quik or simular chocolate-flavored milk beverage, why is it that the powder doesn't dissolve into the milk? No matter how much you stir, it doesn't dissolve, it just clumps up or stays in it's little choco-pods.
One would think that by this point in these days of X-Box, internet dating and Paris Hilton, we would have developed a way to make a chocolate-based powder that dissolves easily into milk. I'm asking for a miracle here. It seems easy enough. I mean, sand doesn't even do this when placed into liquid. If you put sand into a liquid, what do you get? Mud! So it seems that nature is still one step ahead of edible science... (edited to say I was corrected by a friend. Sand will not dissolve into liquid. But dirt will!)

Onto other things!

I think my dog may in part be psychic. Either that, or I'm predictable. The other night I was getting read for work, and I started walking down the hallway, and Mandy darts ahead of me as she usually does and she stops by the room where I get dressed. And then a few minutes later I'm going to the bathroom and she runs ahead and stands by the bathroom. Kind of like she knew were I was going. And then she did it again tonight. It was a little unnerving, to have my dog guess where I was going correctly three times in a row. Kind of like my own Miss Cleo.

Maybe I should scatter some tarot cards on the floor and let her divine my future. I'm sure I could use some divine canine karma.

3 Comments:

Blogger Patrick said...

Sand doesn't dissolve. If you put a couple heaping teaspoonfuls into milk or water, it just sinks to the bottom and becomes tiny, wet glass crystals. Quik will dissolve if mixed for a long enough time, or mixed with a warmer liquid than ice-cold milk.

25/8/04 12:54 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

Fine then. Dirt! If you mix dirt with water it will create mud. And who in the hell wants to drink luke-warm chocolate milk? That's just sick!

25/8/04 4:20 AM  
Blogger Pastoral Urbanite said...

Your banging your head against scientific law there Momo. http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~cchieh/cact/c120/solution.html#types Pat's also correct that the temperature of the solution affects it's ability to take on solids. That's the reason tea sweetened when its cold can never be as sweet as tea sweetened during the brewing process. Now you could make the chocolate milk when you get home form the store (assuming that its been out of the fridge for at least 30 minutes) and then put it in the fidge for later. Of course the easiest answer to this problem is buying chocolate milk pre-made. :)

25/8/04 12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home