Tuesday, July 06, 2004

Happy Birthday to me...

So, I've been thirty for about 47 minutes now, according to the clock on my cable box. I'm sitting here in silence, except for the dog chewing on a chip bag that she dug out of the trash, and I'm waiting on Jen to get off work.

So far, it's not really special. I don't feel grown up. I don't feel my age and I damn sure don't feel wiser. *sigh* But I am growing up, and that scares me a little bit. Not because I'm a year closer to kicking the bucket, but because I feel I haven't lived up to anybody's expectations of me. I wonder if I'm successful like my parents are. I wonder why I haven't gotten a kid (or kids) and a house like my sisters and friends all have, all of which have done all of this younger than me. I wonder why that scares me so.

I wonder what has held me back from responsibility for so long. And isn't that was growing up is all about? Responsibility?

Well crap, the dog just pooed on the carpet, two inches from her wee pad. Time to clean it up. Maybe that's what growing up is. Cleaning up other people's poo.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Scott. Why try and live up to other peoples expectations, because in the end we ususally end up failing them. As long as you are happy who gives a shit if you have a house, kids or are successful according to your parents standards. Do you want these things because YOU want them, or is it because of some stupid standard you feel you have to live up to? Do what makes you happy.

8/7/04 8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Guess who, happy birthday from an old friend. I bet you thought I forgot, but I remembered as I was driving down the road and heard the date. I was like, hey it's jay's b-day. Anyway, You left of Barney as one of your favorite's. When you figure out who this is, call me or email.

8/7/04 9:28 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

My birthday wish is for the anonymous people to reveal themselves!

Yeah, I was just a little down in the dumps that night, feeling sorry for myself. Thanks for all the well-wishes and whatnot. It really means a lot to me to hear from my friends. Hopefully I can see them all soon.

9/7/04 12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home