Thursday, June 24, 2004

Goodbye Ervin Fred

Yesterday was my step-grandfather's funeral in Ada. Since I have two step-grandfathers, let me clarify that this was my mother's step-father. My step-mom's father is still alive, so that's the only grandperson I have left. But I digress...
His name was Ervin Fred Koopman, but for the longest time I'd known him as "Urban" Fred. Goofy kid that I was, I didn't know any better. Of his step children, my mom was his favorite according to my uncle Glenn and aunt Peggy. My uncles Bobby and Wayne, both of which were his step-children too didn't attend yesterday. I'm not sure if it's because of old feelings, or if they simply couldn't get away, but I have a feeling that neither will get to Ada any time soon, so that was my last chance to see them for a while I think. Come to think of it, neither of them came to my cousin Brian's wedding either. Hmmm...

Anyway, the preacher doing the services didn't get a whole lot of information about Ervin Fred, so he was basically just blowing smoke most of the time. And just like at my grandmother's funeral, he went off on a tangent of how to serve God and accept Jesus, and that's all fine and good, and if it was Sunday servies, I would gladly accept that and listen intently. But when it's a solumn service like it was yesterday it's not something people take willingly.

But I don't want to gripe about it, what's done is done. I just want to make a statement right here. If I should die anytime soon, I'd like to be buried in New Bethal cemetary in Byng, Oklahoma, preferrably close to my family's spot (near were my mom is placed), and I'd like to have a double plot, so Jennifer can be placed next to me. I would also be honored if somebody would tell whomever officiating the services a little about me, so as not to have the same situation yesterday. I also think that if somebody were to throw their body over my casket, wailing in sorrow, that would be pretty sweet. I'd like to think that I would be missed a bit, as even a man whom I thought nobody loved like Ervin Fred, he had a loving wife, and a couple of friends that spoke up about him, and dare I say their voices were shaky from emotion. I think I'd like to have the same effect on my family.

So farewell on your journey to the next life Ervin Fred Koopman. Now that you've crossed over, I hope my grandmother doesn't kick your ass for being a bad husband to her.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

You're right. I only know what I've been told. And I was told, by several family members, he wasn't a good husband to my grandmother. This is my blog and I'll comment on my views without filtering it if I so desire. It's not as if I ran your father down with the post.

24/3/05 11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home