Wednesday, July 28, 2004

God help them

I'm sitting here, flipping through the internet, and this was the latest on Yahoo News. The newest problem is in a town north of Baghdad were some human stain packed a minibus full of explosives and detonated it outside a police station killing 70 people and wounding 30. When the news started showing fresh shots of the scene, there appeared to be several small bodies, which many believe were children. This action comes just days before a major gathering of Iraq's finest to discuss their future.

I just can not fathom how somebody can do that. I can understand theft. Somebody who steals is doing it because they want something. I can understand rape, because that person is a sexual predator. I can understand abuse of alcohol and drugs, as the recipient gets a euphoric feeling. I don't condone them, but I understand the desire to do them. What I can't understand is what would someone gain by killing 70 of your fellow brethren. Do they think they can hold back progress by scaring the masses? I guess since it worked in Spain after the bombing there, and changed the minds of the people to elect a new president, that the worthless people that did this think they can keep Iraq in the dark ages.

I'll admit, I haven't done my homework. I don't know how much Iraq as a country is worth, but I do know that a very small percentage of that country is able to afford the basic needs of modern living. Fresh vegetables are a rarity, ice cold drinks a dream that only the rich had have and if they go a whole month without a few days of power outages then it's a miracle. I can understand wanting to keep change. Change is a scary thing sometimes, and it can bring about unpleasantness and uncertainty. But change can be a good thing and bring hope to those that have gone so long without it that their only dream is to wake up tomorrow. I pray for these people and I hope the people of Iraq start living in the present and have more positive standards. I imagine they will probably always hate America, and that is fine with me. I know our country has its fare share of nasty secrets and despicable actions so we're hardly the poster child of the greatest nation on Earth. But the people of Iraq do not deserve to live in squalor and in constant fear. Nobody deserves that.

I hope that the meeting goes on as planned, and that the cowards that did this cruel and painful action will face judgment one day. And I hope that their judgment is a hundred times repaid unto them. I would wish that God have mercy on their souls, but since they don't have a heart or any compassion for their fellow man, that do not deserve it. It sickens me that these people exist. It sickens me more that they have no remorse for what they have done. Killing man, woman and child must be just a small step towards their goal of having Hell on Earth.

I'm Jay Haney, an American, and very proud of that fact. I have every creature comfort I could ask for, I don't live in fear of being shot or blown up every day. If my sister walks outside without her face covered, she won't be beaten. If a woman gets raped by a man in this country, it's the man who will face punishment, not the woman. I have access to green vegetables, fresh meat and clean water. The doctors of my country are some of the finest in the world and I can say with all honesty that I've never cowered in fear in my bedroom because of a bomb explosion a few hundred feet away. My children will grow up knowing different races and cultures, and if I've raised them right they will be free of prejudice and will be tolerant of other people's differences. I hope that one day the people of every nation on Earth can say the same thing. I have hope for our little planet, and hope is a good thing.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is a perfect example of where perception can be much more powerful than truth. If the perception is that the war is self-serving, monetarly driven, or religiously motivated then Iraqis will not accept anything from us. It's quite sad, but wars of this type (however necessary) don't have a great track record of long term change. -mwest

29/7/04 4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home