Thursday, February 03, 2005

So I went to the doc....Oh! Look at the shiney thing!

The doctor's visit went great. I had never been to a psychiatrist before, but it altered my perception of them. Before yesterday I thought I would be laying on a comfy leather couch while a Freudian-looking guy with a white Van Dyke would scribble in his notepad, asking me about my mother. Thankfully, this was not the case. The doctor was very nice, not at all condesending, the chair I sat in was rock hard and very uncomfortable and we just chatted like buddies.

So I got yet another medication to take, this time for the ADD he thinks I have. He had me take a self-assessment test there in his office, and the 'passing' grade for ADD was 19 points. I scored 28, meaning I more than qualified for medication. He put me on Strattera, a non-stimulant drug that will not interact with my Pimozide thankfully. I was telling Brigette that if I was going to have to stop taking my TS med for two weeks, then wait until the new stuff kicked in, I was going to be in trouble. If I am off my Pimozide for longer than four or five days, I am very twitchy. It is very noticable, not only to me, but to others. So I am extremely happy that I get to continue taking my current stuff.

Looking back, it's very obvious to me now that I had it growing up. Never paid attention in class, never started or finished homework, poor organization skills. It got to the point where if I was asked to do something I would either have to do it right then or just plain forget it as I wasn't going to remember the task later on. I am bad about forgetting plans I've made with friends, especially Paul. I've told him I would come over about a million times but always forget about it when I'm in Ada. I owe him a very expensive steak dinner that I would love to pay up on for being so forgetful. I hate that I can't remember even the most simplist things, but I am hoping that this new medication will help with that.

I was told that this would take about 2 weeks to kick in and be noticable, so I started taking it last night when I got up. God-willing as I begin this new chapter in my life with Bib I won't make the same mistakes in the past. I'm looking forward to having a happy and healthy relationship with someone that cares very much for me. I've got good friends, good family, most everybody is healthy (get well Amy & Bib!!) and I don't have any bad relationships with any of them. I'm happy. I am really happy with this point in my life. I could always ask for more, but I don't expect to be better off than I am now, with the exception of losing weight.

And speaking of weight loss, I've lost about 10lbs or so. I had a very nice compliment paid to me by Brigette's dad Ronnie. He said that he could tell in my face and my legs that I've shed a little bit. I don't know why he was checking out my gams (kidding!!) but it is very cool that somebody noticed. I look forward to more tonage lost.

********************************

All that said, everybody ready for the SuperBowl? Commercials, movie trailers and possibly some football will be watched. Can't wait for Sunday! Dad's making chili and I can't wait!

********************************

Can you bring me my chapstick?

1 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

I am checking the Strattera website now...let's see...blah blah blah most common side effects were constipation, dry mouth, nausea, decreased appetite, problems sleeping, sexual side effects, problems urinating, and menstrual cramps. Hmm. It doesn't really say what kind of sexual side effects it has, but as long as my fellows don't drop off I'll be ok I think.

And you are thinking about getting the snip, huh? Theran doesn't want a little sibling? That's a pretty big step, man. I hope everything goes ok.

5/2/05 2:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home