Thursday, August 04, 2005

No yolk in these eggs...

I have now come to suspect that every type of fish egg is just about the fowlest, most rancid-tasting stuff on this rock. Having had eaten a few types by this point in my life, I feel certain that if you set a fish egg in front of me and expect me to consume it, I'm just going to assume that you hate me and our friendship is over at that point.

If given the chance, whenever the topic of sushi comes up I will boast of many tales of my culinary daring. Amoung them is having tried sea urchin, also known to the raw fish-eating community as 'uni'. And I will wail of how completely disgusting I found the experience.

Well, a few months ago I had picked up some Chinese and Japanese food books at the ol' B&N. One of these was a fantastic Japanese cookbook/food reference guide. While reading that very tome tonight, I discovered that uni was not in fact sea urchin meat as I thought it was, but sea urchin roe. That would be the eggs. The unfertilized embryos of the spiney Echinoidea. Yum...

As weird and as strange as this seems to me, it is nothing compaired to anything Anthony Bourdain eats. That guys eats lamb testicles sauted with shallots and braised goat-head stew. And likes it. Freak. ;-)


***********************

I was called a 'funny guy' tonight at work.

Wokka wokka wokka!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home