Tuesday, December 13, 2005

My father, a monkey, my drug, my dedication and a photo

My dad grew up not very far from where he lives now. It was a tiny (and I do mean TINY) two bedroom house until his mid-teens, shared with four other siblings and his parents. He didn't have much growing up, and I think that's why he was so smart with his money. They have that saying, "Having your money work for you" and that's what dad did. Whenever he had money, he invested it in whatever he was doing. Helping my grandfather paint houses, buying and trading stuff, anything. Soon, he had enough to put me through college, help out with my sisters when they got in a jam or mom or friends, or just whoever needed help, my dad could be that person. I have much admiration for the guy. It's hard to meet my father and not like him.

And I know where I get my techno-lust from. I may have gotten my video game passion from my mother, but as far as high-tech toys go, it's all from my dad. If my pop were to be born these days, he would be a gadget-hound, no doubt about it. His newly acquired toy is a 51" DLP HDTV and it is SWEET! Jealous? Yes, yes I am.

Anyway, last night, dad's flipping through the paper and I'm sitting there, watching G4TV (cuz I'm a geek) and a episode preview for "Icons" comes on. It's coming up next and it's about Peter Jackson's King Kong and the history of the Hollywood legend. Dad lowers the paper about two inches, "Ohh...King Kong." I smile and nod, knowing that we're in agreement of what we're watching next.

Suffice to say, we caught it and we're both stoked now. Plans are set for a viewing. Come Christmas evening, if anybody in the greater Ada metroplex wants to catch a showing of King Kong, you're more than welcome to join us. We'll make an evening of it. Presents and stockings in the morning, and then a 25-foot gorilla in the night. Afterwards, we may pour eggnog straight down our gullets. Interested?

(Patrick, this does not exclude a viewing at AMC - If I'm going to do it, I may as well do it right, right?)

****************

And may I just say that Lexapro is the most wonderful drug available to mankind? Do you know what today is? A few of you might. Anyway, look back through the archives for hints... Anyway, I'm not down, I'm not depressed. Just very mellow. The first time in 18 years. It might be a good Christmas after all. :-)

R.I.P. Shirley Ann

****************

Ok, Mom had pictures of us kids from my junior year in high school on her desk, and once I saw it, I knew it had to make it's blog debut. I figure if I put myself out here for all of you share and read, I might as well go deeper. How deep? Deep. Shit's a well, son.



Apparently, as far back as 1991, I had a chin. And I weighed less than a thousand pounds. And I had bad acne but was boyishly cute. So this is my New Year's...Ney, My mid-December's resolution: I'm going to shed as much excess baggage from my fat ass as possible. Naturally, I'm going to bitch the whole time, so you'll all get to hear about it. Delaney got me a sweet tie for Christmas, cuz she's cool like that, and I want to wear it with something other than a tent awning. Something nice. Something sophisticated. Padre' West might suggest a french cuff arrow-collar. Whatever. Just wanna be smaller and with less chances of attracting small orbiting objects. ;) Damn comet's always crashing into me. Crash...into me...

*Cue Dave Matthews*

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand the jealousy. My own dad, having owned the same ("huge!" as we put it in 1981) 17" Electrohome colour(!) TV for over two decades, has now gone flat-screen HD and who-knows-what-size-but-it-looks-enormous.

I'd be happy to join you at the King Kong screening, but I just stumbled in off the web.

Peace, man.

Metro

13/12/05 5:55 AM  
Blogger Patrick said...

HOTT! :)

13/12/05 9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! Can you say LEXAPRO????
I've haven't heard you in such a positive manner in a long time.
Love the picture, but the one of you in the year book here at home is my favorite!

I guess I missed you this weekend.
What are your plans for Christmas, really hope I get to see you!
I'm guessing on your Christmas present this year, so be suprised :-)

I have a picture of Chelle that I would like to send you.

Take care
Brooke ;)
OH, and most definately I'm with you and dad Christmas night. King Kong was my hero growing up, think he still is!

13/12/05 9:13 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Do you have a scanner Brooke? I need to get that picture on here, I think it's my best yearbook photo. It's not often my sour demeaner gets put on film, so it's a funny thing to see.
Just as long as my *ahem* perm pictures stay off the internet. I don't need that floating around cyberland.

13/12/05 10:31 PM  
Blogger bib said...

I double, triple, dipple, nipple dog dare you to put up a perm picture...

13/12/05 11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just put some vinegar on it and all the curls will come right out!!!
Sorry too much temptation to not comment!!!


Paul

13/12/05 11:07 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Bib, have you seen that pictures? Horrible!

And Paul, I thought the vinager fix/accident was our secret? Damn yous!

14/12/05 6:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I almost forgot about your curly hair......I bet mom has pictures of you in those days.
I will see what I can do to get your other one on here.

You didn't answer about Christmas?

Can you believe Christmas is 11 days away?

Talk to you soon
Brooke :)

14/12/05 10:31 PM  
Blogger Patrick said...

Yes, he wants them...and he wants to bring them to work.

17/12/05 2:41 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

Emily, I would love some candied pecans... I might have to share with some co-workers, but the one pecan I managed to score off of Mr was delicious.

17/12/05 2:29 PM  
Blogger Online Degree said...

Good luck on the mid-December goal! The blog-world wishes you success in your endeavor!

20/12/05 12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home